07 Oct AN APPOINTMENT WITH A NEUROLOGIST
Neurology is the science of the structure and functions of the nervous system. This field of medicine investigates and treats disorders and diseases of the human brain and nervous system. During the appointment with a neurologist, the specialist performs diagnostic tests for the brain, spine, chronic and acute diseases, consults and treats patients with disorders of the nervous system.
Often, neurological disorders can be triggered by both internal and external factors: viral infections, malnutrition, chronic diseases, metabolic disorders, vascular changes, stress, inactive lifestyle, or even abnormal posture.
We advise you to contact a doctor neurologist as soon as possible if:
- You are suffering from a variety of neck, chest, waist or back pains,
- You are constantly experiencing headaches and dizziness,
- You experience numbness on one side of face, head, hands or feet,
- Movement and coordination problems have occurred,
- Disorders memory, swallowing reflex, vision, hearing or other sensory functions have appeared,
- Skin changes, infections appeared.
MOST COMMON NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS:
- cerebrovascular disorders,
- central nervous system disorders (multiple sclerosis, etc.),
- degenerative nervous system diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease),
- spinal diseases and disorders,
- insomnia and other diseases of the nervous system.
Neurologists also take care of patients who have suffered a brain injury or stroke after brain surgery.
The nervous system is one of the most complex systems in the human body. When the real cause of the pain cannot be easily determined, it is advisable to consult a neurologist. A neurologist helps patients to overcome the tedious pain. During the treatment process, the doctor takes into consideration not only the symptoms but also the patient’s interests and preferences, which are as important as the pain itself.
AN APPOINTMENT WITH A NEUROLOGIST
Pain is not only a sensory but also an emotional sensation. During your appointment with a neurologist, do not be afraid to list not only physical but also emotional changes that you are experiencing. Below you can see a list of the most important steps of the consultation:
- History of pain: Give your doctor all the information about your illness. Try to remember the beginning of the pain and describe the circumstances in which the pain occurred. Is your pain related to movement or exacerbated while working or sitting?
- Describe pain: First, try to localize the pain and name the change in localization over time. Then discuss with your neurologist the rate, duration, progression, debilitation, surging of pain.
- When asked by a neurologist, tell which factors are more likely to provoke the pain: direct – postural or motion-related – or indirect – provoked by stress, emotions or depression. Share the factors that reduce pain so your doctor can choose the right treatment.
- Tell the doctor about current pain treatment: what medications have you been taking so far, have you used other treatments for pain such as physical therapy, manual therapy or others. Maybe you had surgeries?
Don’t be afraid to trust a neurologist to assess the real situation and find the best treatment. Adequate pain management will not only improve your well-being and speed up your health but will also increase your working ability and you will enjoy a better quality of life.
If you have any questions or suffer from any of the symptoms listed above, contact Neurologist Audronė Kazakevičienė who works at Clinic AGATAS, for an initial consultation.